How to Help Prevent Water Pollution
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Water Pollution and other Water Filter topics.
Is there anything I can do to help prevent water pollution?
Everyone can make an important difference in preventing water pollution. Keeping contaminants out of the water supply is much easier than removing them once they are already there. Since everyone needs water to survive, it's certainly correct to state that each person has a responsibility to play an active role in water pollution prevention in his or her community.
Tips for Water Pollution Prevention
- Avoid dumping any type of waste in storm drains, or in their vicinity.
- Do not pour any chemicals or hazardous materials down the drain.
- Immediately report illegal dumping practices you observe to the proper authorities.
- Keep your car in good working order and regularly inspect for leaks.
- Make sure to pick up your pets' waste.
- Minimize the use of chemical lawn and plant fertilizers.
- Properly maintain your home's septic tank system.
- Recycle antifreeze, motor oil, and other automotive fluids.
- Reduce your usage of insecticides and pesticides in your home and yard.
- Take steps to minimize soil erosion around your home.
- Use a drinking water filtration system to keep your family from consuming harmful chemicals.
- Utilize organic plant food in your vegetable gardens and flower beds.
- Additional environmentally responsible activities.